Program Assistant – International Experience Canada
Consulate General of Canada, Sydney
Salary: AUD $69,498 per annum – pro rated
Contract Type: 100 working days – parental leave cover
Term Details: This position is a Locally Engaged Staff (LES) position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Sydney.
Job Function: Administrative / International Experience Canada
Classification: LE – A2
Location: Consulate General of Canada in Sydney, Australia
Number of Vacancies: 1
Closing date for application: February 26th 2023 at 23:59 AEDT
Summary of Duties:
Program Assistant (Migration LE-A2):
This position will support the International Experience Canada promotion team. International Experience Canada (IEC) is a Government of Canada program that allows youth, aged 18-35*, from IEC’s over 30 partner countries/territories to work and travel in Canada and vice versa.
Responsibilities will include:
- Content creation: draft social media posts and design graphics, write feature articles, and if there is capability to film and edit videos
- Program and event promotion: through social media, event/forum boards, electronic direct mail, etc.
- Outreach: present and answer questions at career fairs, travel expos, webinars, etc.
- Client service: respond to client emails
Other tasks as needed:
- If there is capability, to film and edit videos
- If there is capability, provide French translation.
- Provides administrative support services in support of the delivery of the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) program in a mission. This may include screening documentation, applications and files; reviewing for completeness and accuracy; identifying discrepancies; obtaining and reviewing data; seeking out missing or relevant information. Assesses problematic cases and researches internal/external sources to resolve problems or discrepancies and supports program integrity.
Area of Selection:
This position is open to all who are authorized to work in Australia including Canadians with Working Holiday visas that are valid from May 2023 and for the following 100 days at least.
Please note that the Consulate General of Canada in Sydney does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly.
Applicants should meet all of the conditions of employment and essential requirements stated below, and applications are received by the closing date and time.
The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered based on merit. Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture. Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees to learn and develop their skills and competencies.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, language* and experience.
Candidates must clearly demonstrate when applying to the position how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
*Language will be assessed further during the process.
Candidates will be required to provide proof of the completion of their education.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, media, marketing, advertising, creative (film, graphic design, etc.), or other related fields
- Professional level of written and spoken English
- Minimum one year experience working in a related field
The Rated Requirements are part of the essential qualifications and are relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies. Methods of assessment for rated requirements may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview (online pre-recorded/live or in-person), role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
- Knowledge of computer applications including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and internet browsers)
- Intermediate graphic design (eg. Canva and/or Adobe illustrator)
- Proficiency in social media (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
- Ability to set priorities, plan and organize work, meet deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with a minimum level of supervision
- Ability to accurately review and triage information
- Effective Interactive Communication
- Focus on Quality and Details
- Adaptability and Flexibility
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Values and Ethics
Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications.
- Fluency in French (reading, writing, speaking)
- Experience in video filming and editing including use of industry standard-software (e.g. Adobe Premiere Pro)
- Experience in writing articles and interviewing people
- Experience in presenting or delivering information sessions
- Experience in using content management system for blogs and social media
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Excel acquired through a certificate or a diploma
- Working in a diplomatic mission or international organization
- Minimum of three months’ experience using an integrated information or data management system (such as the Global Case Management System) to accomplish work-related tasks
- Basic knowledge of Canadian immigration policies and procedures
- Working hours are 37.5 hours per week (8 hours Monday to Thursday; 5.5 hours Friday)
- Able and willing to work overtime as required on short notice (on weekdays and/or during weekends)
- Able and willing to work offsite at expos and possibly travel interstate
- Willing to work in a high-pressure environment
Conditions of Employment:
Conditions of employment must be met or complied with before being appointed to a particular position, and are to be maintained throughout the employment while being the incumbent of this position.
– Valid work authorization: Ability to obtain and hold a valid work authorization covering the entire employment period.
– Security screening: Obtain and maintain a Reliability Status (security level) which includes a criminal and credit background check from the Government of Canada covering the entire employment period.
How to Apply
- Submit your CV and cover letter by email to: email@example.com
- Do not include personal data such as; age, date of birth, gender, marital status, family status, religion or a picture in your application form, CV nor cover letter (as required). Please only include information relevant to the vacancy as requested in the job poster
- Applications which do not include all of the requested documents or information and/or which are not received by the closing date will be rejected.
- Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the closing date. Failure to do so will result in the application being rejected.
- Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French).
- The language requirement for this position is identified under the essential qualifications (language). In consequence, the assessment process for this vacancy will be conducted in English.
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates must provide an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder.
- Reference checks may be sought for candidates who succeeded all of the assessments.
- Please note that the Consulate General of Canada in Sydney does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
- Before an offer of employment can be made, successful candidates must provide a local residence address as proof of residence in the specified area of selection. This information is necessary to issue a letter of offer.
- As recently announced by the Government of Canada, the Policy for Mandatory Vaccination: Canada and the Mission Network is suspended as of June 20, 2022. The Government of Canada will continue to assess the need for additional public health measures, including the possible reintroduction of a vaccination mandate at a later date.
- We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please contact us at email@example.com to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
- The results of this selection process may also be used to establish one or more pools of fully or partially qualified candidates for similar term, indeterminate, part-time or full-time openings at the Consulate General of Canada in Sydney which might arise following the completion of this selection process.
- For Canadian citizens/residents and Canadian dual nationals, please note that it is your responsibility to enquire with the Canadian Revenue Agency about any possible taxation implications linked to an employment with the Government of Canada.
Applications from Canadian citizens – it is important to note, The Consulate General of Canada is obliged, as the employer, to deduct at source Canadian Income Tax (IT), Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and Employment Insurance (EI) for locally engaged employees who are Canadian citizens. Canadian citizens who therefore choose to undertake employment with the Consulate General will be subject to pay Canadian taxes on their salaries earnt until such time as the employee provides the necessary Residency Determination Waivers from the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA). Further information will be provided to successful candidates.