magnifying-glass menu cross chevron left chevron right chevron up facebook linkedin instagram pinterest twitter vimeo youtube


Posted 31st of March

Dear Canadians,

If you are a dual Canadian/Australian citizen intending to travel to Canada, the recent restrictions announced by the Australian Government could impact your travel plans. Please review the following information.

The fluid nature of the COVID-19 situation has seen interruptions to travel, in addition to new restrictions implemented and regular changes and updates to advice.

As of 25 March 2020, The Australian Government announced that Australian citizens and permanent residents will now be restricted from travelling overseas.

The Australian Border Force is no longer allowing any Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents to depart on an international flight. This restriction will include those who are dual nationals – unless they meet one of the exemptions such as:

  • Persons who ordinarily reside in a country other than Australia

Travellers who believe they meet a travel restriction exemption can apply online to the Commissioner of the Australian Border Force.

Further information relating to the exemptions can be found here:

How does this affect me?

If you are a dual national, and intending to travel back to Canada, please review the exemption criteria.

  1. If you believe you meet a travel restriction exemption, please apply at this link:
  2. To prepare for your departure, organize your documentary evidence and ensure it is readily available to present to airline staff or Australian Border Officers.

The Australian Border Force must be satisfied that the exemption criteria has been met.

What types of evidence should I prepare?

To show evidence that you ordinarily reside in Canada, you can provide a drivers licence, health card, home lease/mortgage, proof of employment, payslip, employee identification card, military orders, or reason for travel.

How do I apply for an exemption on compassionate grounds?

The Commissioner of the Australian Border Force (ABF) may consider an exemption in relation to the travel restrictions on compassionate or humanitarian grounds.

Travellers who wish to apply for an exemption can do so through this link:

How will I be notified if the compassionate exemption is approved?

Airline staff must call the Australian Border Operations Centre to confirm that approval is in place.

What if I am denied departure?

If you are denied departure and need consular assistance please contact the Consular team. The details are listed below.

Consular assistance

Global Affairs Canada is committed to providing consular services and is accessible to Canadians 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

For EMERGENCY consular assistance, call +1 613 996 8885 (call collect where applicable), or email:

Should you require any consular services and assistance during your travels within Australia, please contact our colleagues at:

The Consulate General of Canada in Sydney +61 (0)2 9364 3000

The High Commission of Canada in Canberra +61 (0)2 6270 4000

Kind regards,

Canada Down Under Team

Follow us on social media






Back to top

Canada Down Under is an on-line portfolio of Canadian-Australian stories produced by the Consulate General of Canada in Sydney and other contributors.

Canada Down Under est un portefeuille en ligne d'histoires canado-australiennes produites par le Consulat général du Canada à Sydney et d'autres contributeurs.

Supported by / Avec L’A Appui du:

Canada brandmark