6 April 2020 – Message sent to Canadians registered on the Registry of Canadians Abroad (ROCA)
Please be aware that as of today, there are no further direct flights operating from Australia to Canada.
If you are unable to return to Canada or have chosen to stay in Australia:
- Take precautions against COVID-19. See: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/prevention-risks.html
- If you start to feel symptoms or suspect you may have contracted COVID-19, self-isolate and seek medical attention. The Australian Government’s National Coronavirus Helpline can be reached at 1800 020 080 to provide advice and information. Avoid contact with anyone except health care professionals.
- Keep important documents in a safe, but easy to access place.
- Ensure you have sufficient finances and necessities.
- Buy a cell phone with a local SIM card and charger if you don’t already have one.
- Make sure your passport is valid for at least another six months. If you need to renew it, contact the High Commission in Canberra or the Consulate General in Sydney.
- Keep in touch with your family and friends, even if you have not been affected, to keep them informed of your situation.
- Monitor Australian Government sources of information and local media: https://www.australia.gov.au/, aus.gov.au/WhatsApp
Planning to travel back to Canada?
Travelling back to Canada from Australia will now require you to transit through another country.
Prior to making travel arrangements, we strongly advise you to review transit restrictions that could impact your ability to return to Canada on non-direct flight routes.
If you make arrangements to depart Australia, please continue to stay up to date with the latest transit restrictions and monitor the status of your flights closely (both domestic and international) If you experience any changes to your flights, please contact your airline directly.
If you hold Australian citizenship or permanent residency, please be aware of restrictions on leaving Australia: https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/travel-restrictions#a
As the COVID-19 situation continues to escalate around the world, further limitations or suspensions of international commercial flights should be expected.
*Please note: No government-sponsored repatriation flights are being organized for Canadians to depart Australia.
Have you checked your travel insurance?
Be aware that staying abroad could change or complicate your travel health insurance coverage. Check with your travel insurance provider directly to confirm that your policy has sufficient coverage including for COVID-19 and extended stay in Australia.
Do you need financial assistance?
COVID-19 Emergency Loan Program for Canadians Abroad
If you are eligible, are outside Canada and are directly impacted by COVID-19, you can apply for an emergency loan of up to $5,000 to help you return to Canada and to cover your short-term needs while you work toward returning. To apply: Contact us (see information below)
Canada Emergency Response Benefit
If you normally reside in Canada, the Canada Emergency Response Benefit provides temporary income support to workers who have stopped working and are without employment or self-employment income for reasons related to COVID-19. The benefit will be available to workers who meet the eligibility criteria.
For information: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html
If you work outside Canada, for a Canadian company or the Canadian government, you may be entitled to benefits under Canada’s Employment Insurance (EI) program.
For information: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-outside-canada.html
Do you need consular assistance?
Should you require consular assistance in Australia, please contact:
The Consulate General of Canada in Sydney
- email@example.com (if you are located in NSW, QLD, and NT)
- +61 (0)2 9364 3000
The High Commission of Canada in Canberra
- firstname.lastname@example.org (if you are located in ACT, WA, VIC, SA, TAS)
- +61 (0)2 6270 4000
Outside of business hours, please contact the Emergency Watch and Response Centre at Global Affairs Canada headquarters (24 hours a day, seven days a week) by calling +1 613 996 8885, or email: email@example.com
Canada Down Under Team
Follow us on social media
Further information and resources to support you:
- Public Health Agency of Canada:
- Travel advice and Advisories for Australia